One day, Einstein, Newton, Pascal, and Heisenberg met up to play a game of hide and seek. While Einstein counted, Pascal ran away and hid, but Newton stood right in front of Einstein and drew a one meter by one meter square on the floor around himself.
When Einstein opened his eyes, he immediately saw Newton and said “I found you Newton,” but Newton replied, “No, you found 1 Newton over a meter squared; you found Pascal!”
Meanwhile, Heisenberg ran around yelling exactly how fast he was going.
- Newton: newton is the SI unit of force. It is defined as the force used to change the speed of an object of mass 1 kilogram by 1 metre per second every second.
- Pascal: pascal is the SI unit of pressure. It is defined as the pressure caused by 1 newton force in a surface area of contact of 1 square metre.
- Newton draws a square of side 1 metre around him. The area of a square is the square of the length of the side of the square. Hence when Einstein spots Newton standing over a square of side 1 metre, he has found 1 newton per square metre, i.e. Pascal.
- Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle: Werner Heisenberg said that in the study of subatomic particles, the position(where the particle is) and momentum(where and how fast it is going) cannot be known at the same time. Heisenberg yelled exactly how fast he was going, so nobody could know exactly where he was.For an analogy, I’ve always imagined taking a photograph of a ball thrown in the air, where you can change your shutter speed. With a very fast shutter speed there’s almost no blur, so you can tell very well exactly where the ball is. However, it’s just hanging there in the photo, so you can’t really tell how fast it’s moving or in what direction. On the other hand, if you take a longer shot, you’ll get a photo of a blur, letting you tell (if you backtrack from your shutter speed and the length of the blur) very much how fast the ball was moving, but not where it was at that instant.
- Newton= force that causes 1 metre per square second acceleration in an object of mass 1 kilogram.
- Pascal= pressure caused by 1 newton force acting on an area of 1 square metre
- Heisenberg: Both position and momentum cannot be known at the same time.